Rice- 1 kg
Mutton- ½ kg (Guddi, Bones with marrow)
Onion sliced- 200 gms
Cinnamon- 1 inch stick
Black cardamom- 2 nos
Black pepper- 8 nos
Clove- 5 nos
Bay leaf -2 nos
Nutmeg- 1/4th of 1 nutmeg
Mace – equivalent to ¼ nutmeg
Green cardamom- 2 nos
Coriander powder- 25 gms
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red Chili powder- ½ tsp
Salt- 100 gms
Refined oil – 250 gms
Note: Divide spices into two parts, one part will be used for stock and another will be used for making chulao
- To prepare yakni – wash and clean mutton in even-sized pieces. Boil with sliced onions and ginger-garlic-turmeric, red chili powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, nutmeg and mace until tender. Remove from flame, strain and keep stock aside for later use.
- Make a fine paste of ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, chili powder, nutmeg and mace.
- In heavy bottom utensil heat oil, sauté sliced onion till it turns pink then add whole spices and sauté it.
- Add blanched mutton pieces and sauté for about 5 mins , Then add the spice paste and sauté it till oil separated.
- Add curd and cook it for 10 minutes with continuous stirring and cover and cook on a slow flame,till the masala is cooked.
- Add the pre soaked rice to the mutton mix and add the stock water enough to cover the rice and close the lid. Cook it on a slow flme for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot