Prateek Hira – Profile
(Brief Profile Of Founder, President & CEO followed by detailed profile)
Prateek Hira (Founder President & CEO)
Core Business : Tourism – Founder President & CEO of Tornos – an experiential travel company that prides itself in being a micro-destination management company operating since 1994 and catering in specific geographic areas and offering knowledge based products. His other venture, Indian Frontiers is India-centric tour operator with special interest in British India tour from 1757 through 1947. Indian Frontiers operates niche tours catering to luxury travellers primarily from UK, Australia and New Zealand. Recently Gastroutes has been launched as a specialist and focused pan-India brand specialising in Gastronomy as its main domain, while River Rhapsody is a different independent company with river cruise and luxury river-side camping being its main activity.
Prateek Hira has been mentioned as out-of-box tour operator by leading travel magazines. In fact the concept of walking tours was initiated by Prateek way back in 1994, probably when industry in India may not have known about this concept. Presumably India’s first food walk was started by him in his own city, Lucknow in 1995, when street food was unimaginably being offered to foreign tourists by him. Prateek has been awarded by ABP News & World Federation of Hospitality Professionals with its most coveted award, ‘Most Influential Leaders In Travel Industry’ in 2019.
He is also the Chairman of IATO – Indian Association of Tour Operators for the states Uttar Pradesh and Uttrakhand. Till August 2019 Prateek was also the Chairman for states of Bihar and Jharkhand.
Prateek has two major researches to his credit, one on Sri Lanka Tourism as a part of his research for The Leeds Metropolitan University, while another research by him was on Senior Tourism for Center of Tourism Recreation Research. He has recently co-authoured a book, ‘Diary of William Young – 1878-81’ and has been a consulting editor for a book, ‘Conservation and Promotion of Heritage Tourism’ by IGI Global, US. He has two Post Graduate degrees to his credit, one in tourism while another in economics and is academically quite active by not only serving on the boards of many Indian universities but also by regularly teaching tourism in the capacity of an adjunct professor of tourism in many universities, including University of Wales, UK.
Prateek Hira (Detailed Profile) – FaceBook
Prime Occupation (Tourism)
- Founder, President & CEO – TORNOS (Tornos Destinations (I) Pvt Ltd.,) a Lucknow based Micro-Destination Management & Experiential Tour Company.(founded in 1994).
- Brand Director – GASTROUTES – An exclusive Gastronomy Tour Company, operating gastronomy tours to India.
- Partner – INDIAN FRONTIERS – Thematic tour company operating knowledge based tours to India, especially with the theme of British India.
- Co-Founder & Director – RIVER RHAPSODY (River Rhapsody Pvt. Ltd.,) – An exclusive river cruising, river-bank glamping (lux-camping) and river entertainment company.
- General Secretary – TORNOS FOUNDATION – A not-for-profit social organisation with an independent board.
- PATA – Pacific Asia Travel Association.
- WFTA – World Food Travel Association.
- IATO – Indian Association of Tour Operators.
- FICCI – Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry.
- INTACH – Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage.
||Tourism Academician (Adjunct / Visiting Professor – Universities & Institutions):
- University of Wales Trinity St David, Swansea, Wales, UK.
- IITTM – Gwalior (Ministry of Tourism, Govt of India).
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow.
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi.
- University of Faizabad (RMLAU), Ayodhya.
- IRITM – Indian Railways Institute of Transport Management (Ministry of Railways).
- Parayatan Adhyan Sansthan (DOT – Govt of Uttar Pradesh).
Researches, Papers & Articles
- Outbound Tours from India to Sri Lanka (visitor profiling) – Leeds Metropolitan University (UK).
- Senior Tourism – An analytical study (Tourism Recreation Research, Routledge, UK).
- Ecology and Tourism (Impact Studies).
- Highway Tourism (Case study of UPSTDC Motels).
- Environment & Tourism (A reciprocal study).
- Tourist Behavior and Market Trends (Compilation of Studies).
- Impact of Tourism on Host Cultures.
- Emerging Tourism Trends – Experiential & Immersive Travel
- Loss of The Human Touch in Tourism (advent of internet).
- Tourism & Terrorism (an impact study).
- Sir Henry Havelock in Lucknow.
- Rare & Extinct Cuisine of Awadh (Ongoing Research Project).
- Impact of Tourism on Employment in India (White paper for Center for Soft Power, India Foundation).
- Feasibility of Orchard Tourism (Hospitality Biz).
- Lucknow left far behind in tourism (Times of India).
- Tourism after division of Uttar Pradesh (Hindustan Times).
- Green Tourism (Hindustan Times).
- City of Nawabs fast becoming an aviation hub (Hindustan Times).
- V.S. Naipaul in Lucknow (Hindustan Times).
- Tourism or appeasement in Uttar Pradesh?
- Trends of Travel for Travel Professionals in 2020.
- Generation Dynamics in Tourism – HR Issues in Tourism.
- Former Member – Tourism Promotion Council & Advisory Board (Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh).
- State Chairman – Indian Association of Tour Operators (IATO) for the states of Uttar Pradesh & Uttrakhand (Formerly also Bihar & Jharkhand).
- Coordinator (UP & Uttrakhand) – Federation of Associations in Indian Tourism & Hospitality (FAITH).
- Executive Committee Member – Alliance Française de Lucknow.
- Nodal Officer – Adarsh Monuments & Prime Minister’s Swatch Bharat Committee : UP, Uttrakhand, Bihar & Jharkhand.
- Member – HRACC-Hotel Classification Committee (DOT, Govt of India).
- Member – Planning & Approval Committee for Lucknow Terminal -3, Airport Authority of India (AAI).
- Organising Committee Member – IATO Agra Convention (2004).
- Member – IATO’s Committee of Education & Capacity Building (2012-16).
- Adjunct Professor – University of Wales Trinity St David, Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom(UK).
- Member – Board of Governors / Academic Council / Advisory Committee:-
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow, UP.
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi.
- Kashi Vidhya Peeth (Inst., of Tourism Studies), Varanasi.
- University of Jammu, Jammu.
- University of Faizabad, Ayodhya.
- Parayatan Adhyan Sansthan (DOT – Govt of UP).
- Speaker / Moderator – Forums / Panel Discussions:-
- World Travel Market, London – Experiential Tourism in India.
- IRITM – Indian Railways Institute of Transport. Management (Ministry of Railways).
- All India Radio – World Tourism Day.
- Radio City (FM) – World Tourism Day.
- Gyanbharti (IGNOU) – Trends in Tourism.
- Progressive Council –The Progressive Conversations Series: Adaptive Reuse of Heritage in India.
- Indo-Korean Business Summit.
- Center for Soft Power, India Foundation – Heritage & Tourism.
- Times of India – Heritage & Tourism.
- UP Tourism Stakeholders Meet.
- Times of India & NBT Samvaad (Development Conclave).
- The Diary of William Young Major, 2/14th Regiment (1878 – 1881) – Publication : Royal Books, India ……(Co-Author).
- Conservation and Promotion of Heritage Tourism – Publication : IGI Global, USA ……(Editorial Board).
- A passionate Indian in pursuit of tourism knowledge – Publication : Routledge, Taylor & Francis, UK. ……(Contributor).
- Kebab Kissa – A book in Bengali on the history of kebabs – Publication : Dhansere, India ……(Contributor).
- Certificate in Food Travel – WFTA Portland, United States.
- Research : ‘India – a source market for Sri Lanka’ – International Centre for Responsible Tourism, Leeds Metropolitan University, Leeds, U.K.
- Diploma in Food Production (Culinary Art).
- Post Graduate in Tourism Management.
- Post Graduation (M.A. Economics) & Graduation (B.A.).
- I.S.C (10+2) – Commerce & I.C.S.E (Year 10) – La Martiniere College, Lucknow.
- Important Awards & Accolades :-
- Awadh Samman – Tourism (Hon Gov of UP – Mr. Ram Naik).
- IATO Award – Best Marketing Campaign by Tour Operator.
- Saryu Samman – Developing Ayodhya as foreign tourist destination.
- ABP News Award – Most Influential Leader In Travel.
- Introduction & planning of training program & trainer :-
- UP State Tourist Guides & Escorts (Govt of UP).
- Tourist Police Training Program (Govt of UP).
- Tourist Taxi Drivers (Govt of UP).
- State Bus Conductors – UPSTDC (Govt of UP).
- Railway Porters – Indian Railways (Govt of India).
- Dhaba Owners & Waiters (Govt of India).
- Concept to Planning – Ayodhya Deepotsava (Govt of UP).
- Concept to Organisation of India Evenings & Fund Raisers of RACH Foundation, Monaco:
- Palace of Versailles, Paris (France).
- Ritz-Carlton, Paris. (France).
- Hermitage Monte-Carlo, Monaco.
- Burj Al Arab Jumeirah, Dubai (UAE).
- India Coordinator – Social project for AMADE – HRH Princess Caroline of Monaco.
- Contributor – UNESCO Creative Cities Network.
- History & Content Contributor – Sound & Light Show, Lucknow. Residency (Speaking Facades & Warrier Films).
- Year of Birth: 1972 / Place of Birth: Lucknow
- Places of Stay : Lucknow (India) ; London (UK)